I have been wanting to add a list of thing’s in no particular order, that are needed on a truck for a while now. I have just not got around to doing it until today! I see this question pop up quite often, at the many forums I visit. I know this list is not the perfect list, so I won’t need any comments telling me this (lol). If you want to add to the list you may do so by commenting.
First off we need to determine what you are hauling in order to have the right list of items on board with you. In my list I will add the item and explain who should have it and why.
- Food – you might get stranded at a shipper or receiver, or you might run into bad weather and be forced to shut down for a couple days in the middle of nowhere. Any and all truck drivers should have this items with them. You as a driver must be prepared for the worst, because it can happen at anytime.
- Water – Same as above, also you can use it to brush your teeth, sponge bath (it happens), etc.
- Clothes – For ALL seasons, because you might leave one place and it was 90 degrees, and drive 600 miles and it be snowing, and blue cold.
- A cheap set of tools – just the basics needed here, hammer, screwdriver (flat and Phillips), also a torx set are needed for some trucks now, adjustable wrench, 1/2 in, and 9/16 in combination wrench, vice grips, WD-40 (or your choice of spray on lubricant), waterless hand wash, paper towels (or old rags from the house), a pocket knife, electrical tape (your color preference), a pair of light cover hauls, reasons for these items you might have to do minor maintenance to your truck or trailer. This should be in everybody’s truck.
- CB Radio – Your choice on this. All truck drivers.
- Ink Pens – Black or Blue, for log books, always need ink pens because they always get lost.
- Up to date Laminated Truckers Map – This should be like a “truckers bible” to you. Even with today’s technology a map will save you.
- Steele toed shoe or boot – Flat bed drivers and Tanker drivers need these especially, most if not all places require you to have these while loading or unloading.
- Quality Gloves – (No not for driving) You have to put diesel and oil in your truck. All drivers need these.
- Cell Phone – (No NOT for texting) But, it can come in handy in case of emergency’s. Either a pre-paid cell phone if you can’t get a regular package from a carrier of your choice. All drivers need this.
I know there is more, so feel free to add to the list by commenting. This is just a starter list.
© 2009, Truck Drivers News Blog. All rights reserved.